How to Commend a Department Employee
Citizens are able to commend a Department employee as a way of saying thanks for exemplary service or to let the employee know you appreciate their efforts in handling a call for service. You may call the Chief’s Office at 201-641-6400 or contact us via our contact form by clicking HERE. We will be sure to forward your message of thanks to the employee and include it in their personnel file. Please include the employee’s name; date, time, and the location of incident as well as the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Download the commendation form HERE.
- The Ridgefield Park Police Department is concerned about the level of police service provided to the community by our personnel. Through a continual program of in-service training and internet based written directive and training system, officers receive year-round instruction and training designed to improve their skills, which ultimately, improves the service provided to our community.
- There will be times when citizens observe police conduct they feel is questionable. Citizens must be able to bring their legitimate concerns regarding police actions to the attention of the department for review.
- Concerns over police actions are sometimes based on a misunderstanding of police policy and procedure or the law. Our supervisors are happy to discuss your concerns and explain an officer’s actions in a given situation.
- Other times, malicious and false complaints are filed by individuals with a grudge against an officer for making an arrest or issuing a traffic citation. It is the responsibility of the Police Department to address all complaints and differentiate between false complaints and legitimate concerns. In fairness to our employees those citizens who make false allegations against police officers may be subject to criminal prosecution.
Registering a Complaint
- A complaint may be filed by any individual. Anonymous complaints are accepted with the understanding that a follow up investigation is more difficult when the complainant is unknown. Complaints may be registered at the Police Department in person, via telephone, the mail or by completing the complaint form using the link below. Complainants are asked to complete the complaint form, which includes a statement of the facts known to the person at that time.
- Once received, all complaints are forwarded to Internal Affairs Office for review. Whenever possible, minor allegations can be assigned to the employee’s supervisor for investigation.
- Complaints of a more serious nature are returned to the Internal Affairs Office to initiate a formal Internal Affairs investigation.
Complaint forms can also be submitted by email at [email protected].