I need to have a car seat installed/inspected where can I get it done?

We offer the service of car seat installation and/or inspection.  Click here for more information or you can email carseat@rppd.org with your contact information and someone will contact you to schedule an appointment.

I lost a piece of property, how can I report it?

Lost property may be reported to the police desk at any time.  You will be required to complete a form listing the item(s) lost.  This form can be downloaded here.  That form then can be taken to the police desk where an officer will make an official report.

I need to be fingerprinted, where do I need to go?

We can only do fingerprinting in certain situations. If you can provide fingerprint cards then we may be able to assist. We can no longer fingerprint residents for employment (in NJ) and immigration.  You need to go to an outside vendor to have them taken.  That information should be provided to you by the other agency or employer. If you have any questions you can call the police desk and request to speak to a detective or email questions@rppd.org.

What can I do about Domestic Violence?

Please click here for domestic violence information.

What are the hours of the Records Bureau?

The records Bureau is open Monday thru Friday from 8 am to 4 pm and can be contacted at 201-641-4950 ext. 154 and ext. 155

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

Accident and incident reports can be obtained from the Records Bureau during regular business hours. If you cannot make it during those hours you may either request that the report be held at the communications desk or send in a self-addressed stamped envelope and the report will be mailed to you. Reports cannot be faxed. Accident reports can take 3-5 business before being available.

My vehicle was impounded, how do I get it back?

If your vehicle was impounded you must report to the police desk with 2 licensed drivers, the registration of the vehicle and proof of insurance in order to get your vehicle released.  Impounded vehicles can be released during normal business hours Monday-Saturday.

How do I get a parking sticker for my vehicle?

Resident and Non-Resident parking permits (stickers) can be obtained at the Ridgefield Park Police Department Records Bureau during normal business hours.

1) If you are a resident you must bring in your driver’s license and registration of the vehicle that shows your Ridgefield Park address. If you are new resident you can obtain a temporary permit by showing your driver’s license and registration accompanied by a lease or deed to where you will be living.
2) If you are not a resident but you work in Ridgefield Park you must bring your driver’s license and registration accompanied by a letter from your Ridgefield Park employer stating that you are a current employee in need of a Non-Resident parking permit.
3) See the Ridgefield Park Police Department Traffic Bureau if you have an unusual circumstance.

Copies of the forms are available for download here.

What time does the noise ordinance go into effect?

The general noise ordinance is in effect from the hours of 10:00 pm and 7:00 am. These hours cover noises that can be considered disturbing (i.e. sounding of horns, animals emitting long-continuing noises, shouting, loud music). 

Heavy equipment  (i.e. construction equipment) shall not be used at all on Sundays and can only be used on weekdays between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm and on Saturdays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.  Individuals or businesses can only operate other mechanical equipment (i.e. law mower, electrical tools, power saws) between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm on weekdays, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Saturdays, and 10:00 am to 7:00 pm on Sundays.  Any of these rules may be overlooked in the case of an emergency or in the interest of public safety.

I was in an accident, when will my report be ready?

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident a copy of your report (in most incidents) will be ready in 3 business days by requesting it at the Ridgefield Park Police Department Records Bureau.

My question or concern has not been addressed, can I ask a general question?

You can send an email to questions@rppd.org and someone will respond if necessary.